Saturday, July 7, 2012

Faux Painted Rug

One thing I've always wanted to do was to paint large faux rug on our deck. I didn't think John would agree to it, but to my surprise he did....although I don't think he really knew what I meant when I explained it to him!

I had been thinking about this project for a long time, so everytime I set out on the deck I was working out designs in my head...counting boards in the deck, thinking about colors, etc.  I knew I needed to keep the design simple because I didn't want anything too busy to look at all the time.

I decided to use solid color stain that contains a sealant instead of paint because it would be less likely to scratch when scooting furniture across it.  I used Olympic Maximum in Navajo Red, Taupe, Chocolate & Autumn Gray (which looks blue) as my colors and one quart of each did the entire job:

With my design in my head, a tape measure and painters tape, I got started:



I had decided the border of the rug would be 3 boards wide, so I measured and taped the side borders and then got staining.  I cut a star out of cardboard and traced it for the 4 corners.


The inside of the rug would be stripes....
remember by keeping simple, I was able to just use each board as a stripe:


Then I added the finishing touches to really make it look like a rug...trim around the border and then fringe on the 2 ends:


And then it was done!  Other than some knee and back pain, it was really a pretty simple project and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.



3 comments:

  1. Your painted rug looks great and I have this linked to my Trompe l'oeil post too today, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments on my faux painted rug and for posting it. I'm looking forward to it becoming a little worn looking. But so far it is holding up well. And I was right...scooting chairs & furniture across it hasn't scratched it at all.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of painting a rug on the deck. It really looks nice. I going to try it, if I can get my husband on board. I also enjoyed the rest of your blog. you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete